Okay, so I finished the long task of adding the colored paint to all of the pieces of the totem last night. Added the frit and got them into the kiln just before heading to bed.
I was so happy to be on schedule for getting the whole piece finished and to the show this weekend.
Until I dropped one of the wing pieces.
I have not dropped a single one of my reverse painted pieces and had it break. Ever. Of course I have broken plenty of glass in my time, but this one killed me. It hit another piece of glass in my lower shelf storage on it's way down which is probably the reason it broke instead of just bouncing off of my rubber floor mat. Bummer.
I wanted to cry. But Mark was quite reasonable and just said - "well, just re-paint it and we can get this done". He was right. Firing just this one small piece by itself I have been able to rush it through 3 firings today.
And while the kiln was running Mark helped me work on the wood base portion. He had gotten it sanded for me yesterday so today he varnished it and we fashioned an awesome base to stabilize it and I added wire wrapping with beads to tie the whole thing together.
You can see the all of the smaller pieces in the background cut and ready for sand and prep.
Close up of the wire and bead portion of the base.
These pictures are a little washed out, but this wood is stunning in person and I can't wait to see the glass all finished on it.
Here is a little sneak peak of the glass pieces before the final firing which will happen tonight if I am lucky, but probably tomorrow morning.